It's seven in the morning and my son and I are doing exactly the same thing that we do every day, day after day. No Sunday off here. I'm heating water for my mandatory two glasses and Devoo's porridge, the first of his three breakfasts.We watch from the kitchen window children toddle off to school hefting mammoth bags. No amount of legislation or spinal deformity will ever change that. School bags must be at least six times the size of the child. If ants can do it, so can we, dammit.
School is an abstract concept for my Devoo. Its a mysterious place/thing his friends disappear to, till four-thirty in the afternoon. Then it means there is just half an hour more for him to wait before he can rush downstairs to the garden to play. He's blissfully unaware. Free-spirited. Not so, Viveka. She's been schooled a bit.We even paid a hefty donation to get her in, ha!Four years and one mirthless, cheerless baby later, we would have paid another donation if we had to, to get her out.
A week ago we finished four years of homeschooling. First grade to fourth grade. In another couple of months Viveka will begin fifth grade and I will begin my first year of schooling two children simultaneously when Dev takes his first steps into the world of academics. I feel like etching a milestone with the inscription- this turned out to be fun after all.
School is an abstract concept for my Devoo. Its a mysterious place/thing his friends disappear to, till four-thirty in the afternoon. Then it means there is just half an hour more for him to wait before he can rush downstairs to the garden to play. He's blissfully unaware. Free-spirited. Not so, Viveka. She's been schooled a bit.We even paid a hefty donation to get her in, ha!Four years and one mirthless, cheerless baby later, we would have paid another donation if we had to, to get her out.
A week ago we finished four years of homeschooling. First grade to fourth grade. In another couple of months Viveka will begin fifth grade and I will begin my first year of schooling two children simultaneously when Dev takes his first steps into the world of academics. I feel like etching a milestone with the inscription- this turned out to be fun after all.
No comments:
Post a Comment